Square UK Card Reader Review
The Square brand has quickly grown from a single mobile card reader and now has many features for a small business to take advantage of including a unique POS (point of sale) system, Square for restaurants and Square eCommerce.
Square has an unrivalled feature set, easy to understand pricing (transaction fees are 1.75%) and quick setup which outmanoeuvres some of the more established companies in this marketplace. Established in 2009 by Twitter founder Jack Dorsey, Square.com (formerly Squareup) is easily the most advanced mobile credit card processing system on the market.
The low transaction fee cost (1.75%) is the biggest reason to choose Square as well as no monthly contract and no monthly fee. In addition to the low fees, there are plenty of add-ons to add even more value to the overall package - Virtual Terminal (allowing you to process party not present transactions for mail order) invoicing and recurring billing are all features that most other operators charge for. You'll also get advanced analytics and an API for integration with EKM, Shopify or BigCommerce.
The only upfront cost you'll have to pay is for the card reader hardware which at the moment is on special offer for £19 (Normally £39) until 30th November 2018.
Square Card Reader Quick Overview:
Square Card Reader
Using the Square card reader you can accept mobile chip and pin or contactless payments wherever you can obtain a mobile signal and as there is no contract or monthly fee it is the cheapest possible way to get started taking mobile payments. Of course, you will need an Android mobile or iPad with a roaming mobile connection to be able to process card payments. You connect your card reader wirelessly via Bluetooth to your device and you are ready to go.
No Payment Gateway Required
You won't need to have an additional payment gateway with Square because Square's hardware and services create an end to end payment processing system. The customer's payment details are captured at the point of sale and payments are routed directly into your business bank account from a central holding merchant account within one to two days.
- 1.75% transaction fee per tap, insert or swipe in-person payments
- 2.5% transaction fee for in-person payments where the card number is entered manually
- 2.5% transaction fee for online payments with our e-commerce API
There are no monthly charges and no additional fees. Flat rates include everything from PCI-compliance fees to interchange and chargeback fees.
Accepted Credit And Debit Cards
- American Express
- Visa Electron
You can also accept Android Pay, Samsung or Google Pay and other NFC payment gateways.
The app is free of charge however you can’t process payments without the Card Reader.
- Process payments right on your device.
- Record cash and other forms of tender.
- Customise your products with photos, names and prices.
- Send receipts via email or text message.
- Apply discounts and issue refunds.
- Access real-time sales data and complete sales history.
- Track inventory in real time.
- Connect to a receipt printer, kitchen ticket printer, barcode scanner and cash drawer.
- Send invoices free from your Square Point of Sale and get paid faster (2.5% fee applies to invoices paid by card).
There are a number of USB hardware combinations including a Square stand, charger, barcode scanner and receipt printer options.