Build A Successful eCommerce Website
Building an eCommerce website is hard work. If you are doing it yourself there is a massive amount of information to absorb.
If you have a digital agency or a website designer managing the project on your behalf, then it would be good to know what they are going to deliver and have a technical overview of the process involved. This guide is designed to give you that knowledge.
This is a comprehensive guide, and it will enable anyone who wants to build an internet business to get off to a flying start. Some of the guide is technical but most of it is easy to read, and I've divided it up into sections so that wherever you are in the process, you can quickly find what you need.
This guide focuses on the technical aspects of planning and maintaining an eCommerce store as well as more general website promotion hints and tips.
Good luck with your eCommerce project!
Getting Started – Finding An eCommerce Business Idea
Before you start paying for domain names, hosting and software it would be good to know that your product has a good chance of selling!
Many people get bogged down in the details of trying to produce a world class product or idea from the start when usually all that's required is improving on an existing idea and refining it. In these articles, I show you how to use Google trends to look for profitable and expanding new niches.
- It’s Not About The Idea; It's The Execution That Matters
- How To Research And Find An eCommerce Website Idea
- Find Your First Product To Sell Online
- Research Your eCommerce Competition And Dominate The Market Place
- Benefits Of Branded Personalised Packaging Design
- Manufacture A Product And Increase Your Profit Margin
Planning And Preparation
Understanding what you are getting into will go a long way to help you manage expectations about what can be achieved. For Design Agencies there is nothing worse than a client who has completely unrealistic expectations and expects to be on the front page of Google from day one. Having a product or service that is in demand is half the battle.
- Small Business Website Builder Ideas
- The Cost Of Building A Website – How To Get An Accurate Quote
- How To Start Your eCommerce Business
- How To Find The Perfect Domain Name
- Name Your Business! 8 Tools To Help You Find Your Perfect Business Name
- Create The Perfect Logo For Your Brand
- How To Build An eCommerce Website – Project Management Guide
Choosing Your eCommerce Platform
Choosing which eCommerce platform to go with can lead to "analysis paralysis" where you start considering every feature and comparing products down to the last fine detail. Several products will export your data from one eCommerce platform to another, so it's not essential to make the right decision in the first place. Getting started is the name of the game and solving business problems as they arise is the natural evolution of your company.
- Why You Need An SSL certificate
- Internet Merchant Accounts Explained
- eCommerce Transaction Fees Explained
- eCommerce Payment Gateways Explained
- eCommerce Website Builders Explained
- eCommerce Website Builders Compared
- Cloud-Based Or Open Source eCommerce Solutions?
- BigCommerce v Shopify - Key Differences Explained
Website Design & Development
Website design resources to help you build your eCommerce site.
- Small Business Website Design Budget Tips
- Where To Find Professional Images For Your eCommerce Website
- How To Choose The Right Colour Scheme For Your eCommerce Website
- Choosing Your Images, Image Aspect Ratio And Image Scaling
Once you've built your site, you are going to need traffic and customers to make it profitable. The website promotion overview strips away all the pretentious SEO talk and gives you a simple formula to follow to get more traffic. Hard work is, of course, a prerequisite.
Blogging For Traffic
Blogging and content production is the key to gaining more traffic and gives you the chance to expand on your company ethos as well as providing product information that doesn't normally get the attention it deserves. Here I discuss why content marketing is such a sound investment as well as standard blogging themes.
- Blogging Is Your Website Promotion Tool Of Choice
- Eat That Frog – Build Your Blog Into A Marketing Monster One Post At A Time
- You Can't Blog A Dead Cause, Write A Blog You Care Deeply About
- Write Things Down – What Sting Can Teach You About Blogging
- Find Your Authentic Blogging Voice
Email Marketing & Copywriting
Building an email list is the holy grail for an eCommerce site because you can quickly let customers know of new offers and promotions. Facebook and Twitter have their place in the overall marketing plan, but you can't beat capturing email addresses for repeat business.
- Transform Your Email Marketing Campaigns With These Google Chrome Add On's
- How To Write Compelling Email Headlines That Scream “Open Me!”
- How To Write Amazing Copy That Sells, Like Mad Men's Don Draper
- Using Emotion To Sell More Product
Affiliate marketing is the quickest and easiest way to make money by producing content. Do you have what it takes to become a successful affiliate marketer?
- UK Drop Shipping Guide - Build A Successful Drop Shipping Business
- Ready, Fire Aim! Build A Drop Shipping Website Using Shopify/Oberlo - Part One
- Build A Drop Shipping Business - Part Two
- Build A Drop Shipping Business - Part Three
- Build A Drop Shipping Business – Part Four
- The World Doesn't Need Another Drop Shipping Website
- Copy The Top eCommerce Drop Shipping Site In Your Niche, Then Make Yours Better
- No Job, No Money, My Wife Left Me And Took The Dog; Should I Start A Drop Shipping Business?
- UK Drop Shipping And Business Ideas 2018
Motivation And Productivity
Consistency is your main ingredient for success. Here I share my tips for getting more done in less time.
- When In Doubt – Do The Work - Stop Procrastinating And Get With The Program
- Drip Drip Drip… The Power Of Little And Often
- Build One Quality Site And Reap The Time And Cost Savings
- Avoiding the Internet Start-Up Mistakes
Everyone needs motivation at some point or another!